I have not written in a while because since starting work on Tuesday I have been absolutely swamped...they say, "Be careful what you wish for!" Well, sort of how I feel.
Monday, which was still holiday for me was really relaxing. It was Baxter's birthday, so he and I just chilled out together. We walked a total of 8 miles throughout the day, and played a lot. We did have a showing back in Michigan, but I have had a difficult time finding enough time to sit down and call Diane right now. If we received an offer, she would leave a message. Thus, I am not too too worried that I haven't heard from her.
Tuesday was my first day of work, and it has been nonstop since I got here! My official title is Business Analyst, Arizona Proving Ground Operations. My main responsibilities are Asset Management and Capital Expenditures, Purchase Procurement through BPOs, Cafeteria Management, and the Fitness Center. I must say that I feel VERY overwhelmed and a little stressed out. I have come in to replace an involuntary separation, and he is a little bitter. However, his feelings are very justified. He has done an awesome job, 6 months ago they promised to make him direct, and now they separate him from the company. That would ruffle anyone's feathers...and to top it off, they bring me in to cross-train with him. Imagine how wonderfully uncomfortable it is, and times it by 10 :-( I am eager to see him gone, so as to eliminate the uncomfortableness, but then he is gone and all the expertise is gone because they made the job for him a year ago. It is truly a terrible situation. However, I am very confident that I can do this. God answers all prayers, right? He brought me out here for a reason, and I am going to allow him to continue to steer this vessel for me. And everyone that I have talked with says that I am really going to need to give this position a few months to really get comfortable. I did have a one-on-one with the Executive Director who is over Test and oversees this facility on Friday, and he has assured me that they are not looking for me to understand everything in one day. He expects this to take time...and he did not expect me to get very far with the individual that I am replacing simply because of the situation.
The people here are great and they are very helpful. The parking (of which I have a loaded Murano until my Maxima gets here) is unbelievable. I am literally 20 feet from the door. And the drive is so simple. I am 35 minutes from work and I am surrounded by mountains on all sides. I have tried to take some pictures with my phone, but the pictures are not that good. I will bring my camera this week. The only drawback is the smell. We are surrounded by cattle farms which give off a smell that you can't really imagine, LOL, but that is only for about 5 minutes, so you can bear it.
My new boss is absolutely amazing. Her name is Anita. She runs the Proving Ground. She is the most organized, professional, personable supervisor that I have ever had. She is very empowering. We had a one-on-one last night (yes, night - 6:30 p.m, long day) and she really put my mind at ease about my job and her expectations and how things are going to be great! She even said that we would have to go out and get to know each other. I am very much so looking forward to working for her.
Matt's birthday was yesterday. We went to his favorite sushi restaurant out here in Northern Scottsdale. It was called Blue Wasabi, but has since changed hands a month ago and is now Banzai Cowboy...yeah, it was a trip! We sat in this little coved booth, drinking martinis/Kirin, eating the most amazing sushi (that had this southwest flair to it - really good), and listening to country music. What more could you ask for? :-) The owners, both brothers, are about in their 40s and very hip. The one that runs the kitchen came and introduced himself, Greg, and really made us feel at home. Matt was sung Happy Birthday in English, Italian (the owners nationality) and then Polish (one of their friends) and they brought over a piece of chocolate mouse/coffee flavored cheesecake (yummy) with a candle on the top. It was a memorable evening. Happy birthday, honey!

No comments:
Post a Comment