Thursday, April 09, 2009

Flight and First Day

Well, I am here!

The flight was a bit difficult, but all-in-all, I would travel with Baxter again. Dad picked me up and we arrived at Metro Airport around 9:00. It took 1 1/2 hours to get checked in. First, they had to check my luggage, then the woman behind the desk had to ensure all the proper paperwork had been completed (shots, rabies, full examination by the vet, had been fed and given water, etc.). She was quite surprised that I had done my homework and had all the necessary information already presented and plastered to the top of his kennel with shipping tape. Then we had to wait for the TSA Agent to come and approve the kennel and Baxter's condition. I even had to take Baxter out of his cage, so that the TSA Agent could look him over. By that time, Baxter was a little groggy (yes, after all the recommendations, I did sedate him with the medication the vet gave me. I am glad that I did. It definitely made him more comfortable - especially with the extra 2 hours that we were on the ground) The TSA Agent commented on how well I had prepared for this flight; even commenting that he hadn't seen someone so well prepared in a while :-) After that, a nice woman came and took Baxter away on a rolling cart. I was told that he would await our flight in a comfortable holding area for animals. It didn't matter, by that time I was crying. I was so glad that Dad was there. It made things so much easier...well, easier for the Baxter process, but not easy to leave him. Needless to say, I was a mess by the time I made it to my gate. Makeup had to be redone. Love you Dad...see you in two weeks - I promise!

Our flight was 2 hours late getting off the ground, which made everyone on the plane highly miserable. I was very stressed out. We sat in the terminal for an hour, then we boarded, to only sit on the plane for an extra hour. Everyone cheered when we pulled away from the gate. They informed us that it was a security issue...don't really know what, but we may have been better off not knowing, LOL. As we were pulling away from the gate, a nice stewardess came to me with a slip and confirmed that Baxter had been placed on the plane at that very moment...boy, was I relieved :-)

We landed in Phoenix to a beautiful 78 degrees. It was just absolutely beautiful!!!!! I watched from my seat (yuck, row 26 seat F - I mean, at least I had a window seat and my row mates, Phil and Barbara, were awesome) as they unloaded Baxter from the cargo area. He was the only pet on the flight - poor baby. I could see that he was sitting up and was very attentive to the men getting the luggage off the plane. The one man continued to talk to him the entire time. I was very appreciative. I can only imagine what was going on in his head.

Matt had parked in temporary parking and was waiting for me right outside of security. I was sooooo glad to see him. He looked so nice. You can definitely tell that the AZ environment has changed him - he is nice and tan and the extra exercise that he has been getting is definitely paying off :-) We walked, hand-in-hand, to go get my luggage and the baby. They brought Baxter up by elevator, and within minutes of getting him my luggage came. We were ready to go home. As soon as we got to the car, Baxter came out of his kennel. He was so excited to see Daddy...but more excited to get out of that stupid kennel. The evening consisted of going and getting a few things I did not pack, picking up a nice bottle of wine for dinner and my No Pudge Brownie mix from Trader Joe's that I can't live without, getting comfy in our new "digs", and of course watching LOST.


Here is the view from the parking lot at Trader Joe's

This is coming home from our drive last night; the lights in the bottom right is Ahwatukee

We did go by the Desert Broom home that we really like. It is beautifully lit up at night (right next to the foothills). They even have a water fountain in the entrance way as you walk up. I would love it if we could sell ours and put an offer on that home, but if that one sells another one will replace it. There are just so many to choose from. I really do like that area, though, and would like to continue to search for homes there. I like the exclusivity - one way in and one way out (because of the foothills); sort of like Algonac.

I was a trooper last night and made it to 10:30 (1:30 MI time). We are planning for Melissa and Tyler's trip out here in May, so we sat and watched the Disneyland DVD that Matt ordered. We have only been to Disneyworld, so Disneyland is going to be such a fun trip for all of us.

It is only 10:30 here currently. Baxter and I got up with Daddy and had breakfast with him before he went to work. We then did a little exploring on foot - walked about 4 miles. Not surprising is the fact that it is already 60-something degrees here. Baxter's body has not acclimated to the heat yet, I can tell; he tired out very quickly. Thankfully, Mommy was prepared and brought his walking water bottle. I am learning quickly here that you do not go anywhere without water - no matter what the thermometer says. We made it home with no incidents, but I regret not taking my camera with me. The view on our walk was AMAZING! The mountains are all around you. I also need to comment on the fact that I can not understand how ANYONE is fat in this state. There are so many opportunities to excercise and be outside...and it is way too bloody hot to want to eat a lot! LOL

Well, I have about an hour before Matt comes home for lunch. I am going to just pick up a little around the apartment and then wait for him. It is about a six minute drive. After lunch, I need to walk to Target and pick up a few things...yeah, had to drink my coffee out of a Pyrex measuring cup today. Not doing that tomorrow!

Love everyone very much!! I will post some pictures today also :-)

No comments: