The first virtual series that I just love is called The Home Run Series. You can choose distances of 5K, 10K, half marathon or marathon and you must complete your distances in the month of August. There are two different medals:
You are awarded this medal for the 5K and 10K distances
(I chose 10K)
You are awarded this medal for the half and full distances
(I chose half)
Jost Running (jostrunning.com) is the creators of this series. They do one each month. They believe in getting people together without the obstacles of finance and distance:
Now there are other virtual races that are put on to help INDIVIDUALS with their charity requirements for certain races. I am doing Running for Lemons virtually as well in the month of August:
The Running for Lemons Virtual Run is a fundraising run/walk to benefit Alex's Lemonade Stand (https://www.facebook.com/alexslemonade) which is a foundation to help support childhood cancer (um, what better cause!!!) You can choose 5K or 10K. Of course, I chose 10K. :-)
Now, these are a few that I have heard about but have not signed up for (yet...):
To support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by "A Little Goofy" - Until August 15th. Sign up and run, swim, bike, or walk 3.93 miles (the actual Disney Goofy Challenge is a full and 1/2 marathon that equals 39.3 miles) - http://www.wendysrunforlls.com/Virtual_Registration.html
Virtual run for the charity group Give Kids The World - nonprofit resort in Kissimmee Florida for children with life-threatening illness and their families - is now open. Register until August 31 or when they sell out (they are close!). Race distances offered are 5K, Half Marathon and Beastly Challenge (both 5K and half). If you do the Beastly Challenge, you will get the 5K and the Half Marathon medals, plus a special 3rd medal.
Now, these just a few that I have mentioned - there are a LOT! You can google most of the races, but I also recommend that you get onto a FaceBook running group. They will mention a lot and their individual runners will post their fundraising efforts - and who doesn't love bling, so they usually include some sort of medal.
Hope this has helped. Shoot me a post or email if you have any questions or are having a hard time finding virtual races. My philosophy (and many of my running friends) is that if you are putting in the miles to train for your next race how much more fun is it to get a medal in the mail for your effort!
HAPPY RUNNING!!
Hope this has helped. Shoot me a post or email if you have any questions or are having a hard time finding virtual races. My philosophy (and many of my running friends) is that if you are putting in the miles to train for your next race how much more fun is it to get a medal in the mail for your effort!
HAPPY RUNNING!!










2 comments:
Here is another one I just found out about...Virtual Half Marathon Summer Heat (the medal is VERY cute!
http://runningnerdnation.com/Running_Nerd_Nation/Virtual_Half_Marathon_%26_Treadmill_Challenge_5K.html
Post a Comment