Well, my first virtual race is done for the month of August. Lots to come! Let me tell you a little about this one because it was very important that I ran this race for the cause...
The Running for Lemons Virtual Race benefits Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF). Haven't heard of it? Well, here is the url: http://www.alexslemonade.org/. Childhood cancer is something I was exposed to at a very young age. My little friend Tina in Kindergarten had Leukemia. It was a long time ago, and because of my age I didn't ask a lot of questions, but I did know that Tina had it rough. She missed a lot of school, was in pain when she did make it, and was so tiny and frail (besides her swollen belly). But that isn't what I remember the most about Tina. What I do remember is our time spent together each day during quiet time. We would get out our mats (usually she needed help carrying hers), lie them on the floor, and relax for a short period. I felt like this time for her was so crucial because of her condition, and so I wanted to make sure she got the most out of it. I remember her enjoying lying there after a busy morning. So each day when she was there for quiet time, I made sure that she got her shoes off and put back on. She had an awful time getting to those tiny shoes because of her condition. I remember thinking to myself that it was the least I could do for my friend - a little girl my age that was fighting for her life. Tina passed not long after that, but she will never be forgotten. In that short time I was blessed with Tina's friendship, I knew that she appreciated my help. She was my friend. Even at that young age, Tina meant so much to me. I loved her dearly.
So this race was for you Tina, and all the other little ones right now that are fighting for their lives too. I completed my 6.2 miles and even PR'ed it for you! I hope you are looking down and smiling. I can't wait to see you in perfect form some day...maybe running is something you may have enjoyed, and we can do it together!


No comments:
Post a Comment