Monday, March 05, 2012

Worship During the Season of Lent

During this time of the year, I always enjoy being reminded of why I became a Lutheran and the importance of having a faith that has a solid foundation. Our Sermon series right now at Risen Savior is "111 Words to Die for," covering the Apostles' Creed. We are reminded in the service bulletin:

"The Apostle's Creed contains 111 words. The first 12 words describe God as a Father "to die for." Today his presence will strengthen our faith in what he has done, and continues to do for us his children."

Pastor David's sermon covered the first 4 foundational words of the Creed: God, Father, Almighty, and Maker.

Here are his points:

God - He is real and he exists (Psalms 14:1). If he isn't real, then we are lost on our own.

Father - He protects and provides. We are no longer slaves, but children of God (Galatians 4).

Almighty - God has all the power; we don't. God is at the center; not us.

Maker - God created all (Genesis 1:1) and he makes all the rules. Sometimes it is easy to lose sight and then we start to make our own rules.

With these points bears the question...Then why do terrible things happen? And Pastor David answered solemnly, "I don't know." And finished his statement by commenting that if anyone tells you that they do, they are not being truthful. The only thing we can find comfort in is that in this awesome universe, we don't have the perspective to understand everything. But we can have faith that God is real, He is our Father, He is Almighty, and that He is maker...and during the awful moments of life, He can make it better...He CAN make it better.

I hope you are enjoying the activities and services at your home churches and congregations during Lent. I am feeling considerably more blessed than normal contemplating how fortunate I am to be given the opportunity to learn the story, and the truth in my salvation. Can I get an Amen? Amen. :-)

Love, Livvie

No comments: