Tuesday, May 04, 2010

My Girl's a Star & Other Fun Stuff!

Matt and I are very proud parents today! Melissa, for the third year in a row (mind you, she is only in 2nd grade!), was selected to have her artwork displayed at the 34th Annual Troy School District Art Show. Her piece is a lizard and it illustrates tempera paint.

She did a beautiful job!

Tyler had a Cub Scout event on Monday night, so Grandma and Grandpa were asked to pick Melissa up after school and escort her to the opening ceremonies. Mom said they had a really good time. The evening ended with dinner at California's Pizza Kitchen - yum!

But it is these types of events that are really hard for Matt and me. We would do anything to be there next to Melissa cheering her on. I remember the last one we could attend - her Kindergarten year. I have her picture hanging in our den. :-) I remember holding her hand as she drug me through the exhibits trying to find her painting...I miss her...I miss our kids. The next 11 days can not come soon enough.

Matt and I continue to find great new places to explore and more challenging routes to hike each week. This past weekend was Siphon Draw to Flatiron and then to the top of that range in the Superstitions. It was magnificent! You have to do a little of this...


To get a view like this...


This is one mile up! We hiked for a total of 7 hours - a very nice distraction for the weekend!
So, the weekend was pretty fun. We finished off the evening with a bon fire and martinis. I found a new recipe with Stewart's Key Lime Soda and Skyy...yummo!!
Jen has been keeping us up-to-date on Lily. It sounds as though she has had a few up-and-down nights, but I think that is to be expected with just losing all her brothers and sisters. Jon has grown pretty fond of our little girl...he better not kidnap her :-) J/K I am just so thankful that I found her. In fact, we are tossing around the middle name of Grace. I think it is appropriate.
I have gotten her crate ready (almost like having a second child - I knew not to get rid of Baxter's baby kennel) and I even found some of Baxter's old baby toys that are going to get washed up really really good and presented to her when she arrives. There is not much we need to do to prepare ourselves for May when she comes home. I am going to buy her a blankey like Baxter had and I think Jen is allowing her to bring something home from there that has her smell on it. I am sure that the first few nights will be just like when her siblings left, but I think we will be ok.
Jen sent this pic over yesterday of her snuggling up on a towel. She is just so precious!

Well, it is getting late, and I must get to bed.
Another real quick update - I applied to ASU this afternoon! My transcripts should be enroute to AZ by the end of this week, and I should hear something back from them by next week. I am super excited. With Nissan reinstalling our tuition reimbursement and my boss' feelings towards a flexible schedule, school can be a priority again. I will keep everyone posted.

No comments: